Expressions of intimacy among nursing home residents - especially those with cognitive impairment and/or dementia are often ignored, responded to with prejudice or responded to with inconsistency due to lack of understanding.
During this webinar, participants will gain a deeper understanding of the meanings behind expressions of intimacy among our residents, including:
- Increase your understanding of issues surrounding resident sexuality and the pursuit of intimacy.
- Understand intent: Differentiate between consensual and predatory behaviors.
- Examine competence and capacity as related to the pursuit of intimate relationships among residents with cognitive impairment.
- Identify barriers to intimacy including staff attitudes, privacy, resources, etc
- Examine environmental, situational, human factor and care provider antecedents to overt hyper-sexuality as well as strategies for addressing these behaviors.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of staff in the care of residents engaged in self-directed intimacy (masterbatory behaviors).